Thoughts on ‘Merica’s match
Things to consider following tonight’s match.
1. There’s nowhere to go but up. I’ve been watching the men’s national team for 20 years now, and that’s the ugliest performance I’ve ever seen. Seriously. And the fact that they actually won is goddamn amazing.
2. These guys have played together before, right? I’ve never seen a team with so much experience look so out of joint.
3. Tim Howard is a fucking bodhisattva. The guy with Tourette’s—the guy who should be pathologically twitchy—held everyone together. I made a joke four years ago: “90 percent of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Tim Howard.” But hell, it’s STILL TRUE.
4. Jesus. Kid Bradley couldn’t have picked a worse time to be awful beyond awful. Especially after the whole “American players don’t get their due because they’re American” mess from last week. Bradley needs to get his shit together, tout suite.
5. Klinsi lovers, rejoice. Zusi (a Klinsi sub) laid a gorgeous ball on for Brooks (another Klinsi sub) to bring it home for ‘Merica.
6. Klinsi haters, rejoice. Holy shit, did our guys look like they hadn’t played together before. I mean, I’ve seen plenty of matches where one team was perfectly happy to sit back and let the other team keep possession, only to spring forward whenever possible. Hell, the ‘02 team’s Dos-a-Cero match against Mexico was a masterclass in counterattacking.
But today? The early goal with a gorgeous piece of football, and then a lot of shoulder shrugging. You CANNOT expect to sit back and soak up pressure for 89 minutes, and yet, that seemed to be the plan.
7. There’s a lot of work to do before Sunday’s match against Portugal.
The English have a great term for a match like this: smash-and-grab. They throw that around when a less-talented team beats a more talented team simply because the more-talented team couldn’t put their opponents away.
That’s what happened here. Ghana played a better game, but they couldn’t find the knockout blow, and John Brooks was monstrous for just the right few seconds. That won’t be good enough against Portugal.
You get home from a long day at work and turn on the TV. It’s been a long week, so you think to yourself- maybe i’ll take the family to a movie on Saturday. Maybe we’ll even go on a vacation soon! We could visit museums and go to plays and see all sorts of fun attractions.
When you turned the TV on, nothing happened. There are no actors to entertain you.
When you went to the movie theater, nothing was showing. There were no advertisements to tell you that anything was showing, so you went to the theater to find out. Nothing playing. There is no one to film and create movies for you. Well at least your vacation will be fun, right? Not like there will be any plays to see and there won’t be anything in the art museums.
Well at least you have the shack you are living in that you made out of cardboard and sheets.
Not like you could find an architect to build you a house with all the money you’re making as an engineer.
(Source: boyfroend, via reagan-was-a-horrible-president)
Here’s how the 2 professors vying for Eric Cantor’s seat rate according to their students
This might be the most unlikely political race of the year.
`Republican David Brat, who beat out House Majority Leader Eric Cantor for the primary nomination, will face off against Democrat Jack Trammell for a congressional seat in Virginia. Both are professors at Randolph-Macon College, which might make the next faculty luncheon more than a little awkward.
Brat is the better-known of the two thanks to his upset victory. He was able to defeat the second-ranking House Republican despite spending less than 3% of what Cantor did. He’s the first candidate ever to unseat a sitting House majority leader.
Read more | Follow policymic
(Source: micdotcom, via reagan-was-a-horrible-president)
Neil Young photographed by Nurit Wilde in the dressing room of the Santa Monica Civic, 1967
Your Joke of the Day from Neal Brennan. Watch the full clip here.
Examples of Chicago based soft drinks, c.1930s.
80s G.I. Joe comic cover feat. Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow, #46 / 1986
Mike Zeck. Pretty sure I had this issue.
This isn’t even the whole story. They told him he couldn’t go because they had no way of getting him there. So he walked outside when they weren’t looking and took a fucking bus. The next time he was seen was on Sword Beach, ith all his medals pinned to his chest.
The fucking Wehrmacht couldn’t stop him from hitting that beach the first time, what the fuck did the care home staff think they could do?
Give him another fucking medal.
Not just yeah, but fuck yeah.